Thursday, June 21, 2012

Heart Warming in the Heat Wave

It is officially summer, and her in New York City boy don't we know it.  It's been high nineties the past few days and it apparently feels like it's in the hundreds (thank you weather channel for rubbing it in/ validating my feelings).  Meanwhile, in the heat of the city in the summer, my heart was warmed by something other than the sun.  You read about things like these (I suppose like you are right now), you hear about them, but rarely ever do you get to see them.

I was chillaxing in line at the local Rite Aid pharmacy watching this little girl run around and fall and be a major nuisance to her mother/cute as a button.  The mother, a young girl about my age plus/minus 3 years, got called up to pick up her prescription a little before I did.  But, there was a hiccup at the checkout stand.  The pills cost 3 dollars but the woman couldn't pay for them.  As she was trying to ask if she could pay with a credit card, I realized that something was off with this interaction.  She was deaf.  Some other woman who was picking up her prescriptions leaned over and told the checkout clerk to put the deaf mom's pills on her  bill.  It was great to just see such genuine kindness.  The mom thanked the woman in sign language, took the medication and her daughter and headed out. 

It was inspiring.  It makes you want to do something for other people.  I really wanted to thank that woman for being so kind, but I think instead it is kind of just contagious.  Maybe I'll spread it.  Maybe random acts of kindness like that will just spread naturally, kind of like Pay it Forward, but more natural.  Anyways, thought I'd share the story.

Cheers to the daily adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment