Monday, July 9, 2012

A new day another adventure

Sorry I haven't posted in quite a while.  I haven't had that many adventures but I'll try to give a little recap of what I've been up to.
Last weekend, I was in a Starbucks in downtown Manhattan, drinking an over priced cold drink and people watching. I realized that I could now officially be considered a New Yorker. To complete my transition to New Yorker, I was wearing pants regardless of the fact that its been in the 90s since the first day of summer two weeks ago.  I meandered for a while that day, down to Battery Park and around the new WTC towers.  After that, I had an incredibly overpriced brunch at a restaurant called 5 points.  Located at the center of the area that Gangs of New York was based on, I could not help but chuckling to myself thinking about the contrast of this 5 points and the 5 points in Colorado (it's Denver's version of the hood).  On my way home, I had to catch the train with a bunch of drunk people leaving the baseball game.  Entertaining, a little annoying, but generally entertaining.

On the fourth of July, I went to a friends apartment, barbequed, played dominos then went onto the roof of the building to watch the fireworks.  It was absolutely amazing, seeing fireworks go off all over the city.  There was so much smoke, the moon looked blood red.  It also kind of looked like Manhattan was on fire.  But it was wild being higher up than the fireworks and being able to see 20 or 30 fireworks exploding at any given moment.  Granted, the 4th of July, the buses don't run, so I was left to walk home, through the Bronx, at 1 AM.  This goes against everything I'd ever been told!  "The Bronx is fine as long as you aren't walking alone though the Bronx at night..."  I called my mom and had her keep me company till I was safe home.  Fortunately, nothing bad happened.  Also, people find it necessary to set of fireworks around the 4th of July.  So from the first until even today, I think there are gunshots or bombs going off (which isn't a radical idea, after all, I am in the Bronx) then I realize it's just fireworks.

This past weekend, I ran to work in running shorts again.  Let's clarify...most of my underwear covers more skin than these shorts... I'm always half afraid I'm going to get shanked for dressing like that, but then I realize that people won't want to rob the guy that clearly has no room to hide a wallet or phone. 

I have a second job writing for a music website called AltRockLive.  I write reviews of CDs and soon I'll be writing reviews of concerts and interviewing bands.  Potentially, I'll be interviewing Owl City tomorrow, we'll see.  In fact, I'm listening to an album I'm reviewing as I write this.  I was enjoying it, then all of a sudden, it got really dissonant and literally started giving me a headache.  I was thinking that this was absolutely terrible.  About twenty minutes later, I had to pause it to just let my ears rest. Some music kept playing.  I realized, I had it opened and playing in two separate windows at two different places.  Ugh, that was a miserable experience. 

That's about it.  I'll try and have a more exciting life...  Cheers to the daily adventure, which is rapidly turning into the weekly/monthly adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. It was nice to meet you half plus 7 Keaton :)

    (this is my olddd old blog. You can view my new blog @
    anychic.tumblr.com)

    Welcome to NYC.

    ReplyDelete