Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pain and Pleasure

Quite a bit has happened in the last 48 hours. With the help of my best friend, I cleaned my apartment and cooked a four course italian dinner for the people who work in the research lab that I'm interning at over the summer.  I have limited cooking resources here in NYC, which mainly just affected the tiramisu.  Instead of a fluffy, light consistency, it ended up liquidy.  Tasty but more like tiramisoup.  At some point in the night, I ended up trying to whip egg whites with a fork, even though I knew it wouldn't work, because back in Italy, I watched a girl to the same thing for over an hour to no avail.  But, all in all, it turned out great and I felt like a real adult.

To explain the pain part of the title of this post, we have to jump back a couple days to the filming of the indie movie on saturday.  At one point, I had to walk into the ocean with my socks and shoes on...leading to my shoes getting soaked.  Which, was fine, considering I had ordered new shoes the day before, anyways, and was eagerly awaiting their arrival.  However, the new shoes didn't arrive on Sunday (shocker) so I had to wear my skater shoes, which tend to cut into the back of heals, especially when I end up walking around downtown with them on.  Monday, my shoes still haven't arrived, I wear my skater shoes to walk the two miles to and from work, making the wound worse.  Tuesday, new shoes arrive!!  But, as everyone knows, new shoes are not the way to avoid blisters...  So, last night, I ended up walking from the East Village to Time Square, about two miles.  By the time we arrived in Time Square, my heal looked, and felt like it had been shot.  But, I fought through the pain to enjoy limping around the center of the universe.

The pleasure part of this story?  Dinner, a show, and a moment.  Dinner was 6 dollars per person thanks to Groupon.  If you aren't familiar with Groupon, it is an online service that allows companies to get coupons out to large amounts of people.  Stupidly good deal for both the customer and the company.  Anyways, my first groupon purchase led us to Empanada Bar NYC.  We each had a spicy chicken empanada, a curry empanada (both amazing) and for dessert, a half of a dolce empenada and cinnamon apple empanada.  We were warned that the dessert empenadas were hot, but little did we know, that the server meant they would still be hot after we finished eating our main course empenada.  Surprise!  The dolce empenada was filled with essentially sweet molten lava.  I think it was a chocolatey substance, but I couldn't really tell because I was in so much pain from the ball of fire that leaked out of the empanada and covered all of my fingers!  But, it was sweet, I'll give them that. 

We left the empanada bar, went to time square, where I had THE MOMENT.  I was crossing the street, and a relatively attractive red head girl was crossing the street towards me.  We made eye contact, I smile, she smiles, we look away.  We're still walking toward each other when we both look back and smile again.  Boom!  Awesome moment.  But, there's more.  We cross paths, get to our respective sides of the street and look back at the same time and SMILE AGAIN!  I chuckle, she giggles, and we both stop, grab our respective friends, and start telling them about the moment.  This belongs in a Jennifer Aniston movie.  As I'm talking to my friend I point and say "the ginger over there, is gonna look over here in two seconds."  Side note, it's surprisingly easy to spot red heads across a crowd, even one as large as the one in Time Square.  Anyways, two seconds later, she looks over smiles again and rapidly starts talking to her friend again.  But, I decided, that was enough of that, and to leave the moment as just that, a moment.

Sadly, my moment abruptly turned into some street vendor trying to sell us tickets to a comedy club.  "No thank...Wait, comedy club?  How much?"  I was suckered in.  We bought two tickets and started walking away when it hit both of us.  OH. MY. GOD.  THESE ARE PROBABLY FAKE!  We headed to where the comedy club was supposedly located and it wasn't there!  Seriously?   I blame the red head.  I let my guard down for a minute and boom, scammed.   "Wait, these tickets say the address is 300, this block is only the 200's.  Let's go one block more"  The address did exist, but it didn't look quite like a comedy club.  We walked in and said "umm, I think we have tickets, but we want to see if these are real... this is a comedy club right?"  "Oh, it is a comedy club, check with the guy out there to see if your tickets are real."  So we head outside and find two guys on the stairs.  One of whom had his pants unzipped and was tucking in his shirt.  He also happened to be going commando...and looked a bit like the australian guy from summerland/Jason Stackhouse from True Blood.  We asked the guy who wasn't exposing himself to the street, "Sir, are these real tickets."  "Well, those are real tickets anyone could tell you that.  They're real tickets, but not to this show.  Sorry kids"  My friend was so bummed, but it hits me...this is a comedy club...that is a joke...these tickets are real and this is a real comedy club.  Oh thank God, it's real.  I was so relieved.  My friend was still trying to clarify when the guy said "Kid, it's a comedy club, lighten up.  Yes it's real, come back in half an hour for the show."

We went and killed some time in Time Square (no pun intended).  Came back and got seated with 8 other audience members.  Of the 5 acts, not one failed to ask everyone where they were from.  Therefore, I can tell you that on one half of the room we had a Philipean couple from Canada who had been married for 30 years and a couple from Brooklyn who were of mixed ethnic heritage.  On my side of the room, we had a white couple from Calgary, Canada, a couple of guys from Denmark, and me and my friend.  If you're picturing this scene and wondering why all the white people are on one half of the room and the non-whites are on the other side, ask our waitress, or every comedian that night, because they all pointed it out. 

The poor Denmark boys got made fun of a bunch, as they were seated front and center, and clearly stood out.  One guy was told he looked like he was from kansas, and his friend looked like someone from Children of the Corn.  There were some funny jokes other than that, but I have no desire to share them, because I feel like they just won't be as funny the second time, especially since you weren't there. 

That's about it.  Pics are still on their way, including one of my battle wounded heal.  Cheers to the daily adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment